Thursday, July 18, 2013

Healthy Chicken Bake

In an effort to get a bit healthier with my eating I have begun cooking more, and so far so good! I made up this recipe with left over ingredients that I had to use up and it turned out great! Feel free to tweak the recipe to fit your family's preferences or what you have on hand.

Start with chicken breasts, washed and fat removed, I use frozen ones which I thaw over night in the refrigerator. Place the chicken breasts in a baking pan and season to taste, this time I use Mrs. Dash, and preheat the oven to 350F.



Begin prepping the veggies, I prefer green and yellow squash, mushrooms and diced tomatoes. Chop the squash into bite size pieces. I use pre-sliced mushrooms that only have to be washed, super easy! You can use fresh tomatoes however canned has extra liquid that helps cook the chicken and veggies.



Pour 1 can of diced tomatoes, slightly drained, over all of the chicken.  Next mix the squash with the sliced mushrooms and layer over chicken and tomatoes.




Bake in the oven at 350F for 20 minutes, then cover with foil and continue cooking for an additional 10-15 minutes. Once done, cut into the chicken to verify it is thoroughly cooked, or check it's internal temperature.



And voila! Easy and quick meal with dinner on the table in less than 45 minutes.



Check back for a future blog post on Shredded Chicken Burritos, I use all the left-overs from this meal to make dinner the next night!

Ingredients:
6-8 Chicken Breasts
1 Can Diced Tomatoes
2-3 Large Yellow Squash
2-3 Large Green Squash
1 Package Sliced Mushrooms

No comments:

Post a Comment